Sunday, December 9, 2012

Be Born in Me


This weekend I get the privilege of being a part of the Grace BIble Church Christmas concerts "Promise of Peace." We've done two out of four concerts so far and I am blown away by God's goodness. I get to sing a song called "Be Born In Me" sung from the perspective of Mary, a young teenage girl about to give birth to the Messiah. Nichole Nordeman wrote this song (I love all of the lyrics she writes) and it paints such a beautiful, vulnerable picture of  Mary and I have loved singing it. Each time I sing it, I learn something more about Mary, and what she must have been going through. Here are the lyrics:

Everything inside me cries for order
Everything inside me wants to hide
Is this shadow an angel or a warrior?
If God is pleased with me, why am I so terrified?
Someone tell me I am only dreaming
Somehow help me see with Heaven's eyes
And before my head agrees, my heart is on its knees
Holy is He. Blessed am I.


Be born in me, be born in me
Trembling heart, somehow I believe that You chose me
I'll hold you in the beginning, You will hold me in the end
Every moment in the middle, make my heart your Bethlehem
Be born in me

All this time we've waited for the promise
All this time You've waited for my arms
Did You wrap yourself inside the unexpected
So we might know that Love would go that far?

I am not brave
I'll never be
The only thing my heart can offer is a vacancy
I'm just a girl
Nothing more
But I am willing, I am Yours

This is such a beautiful song and in huge part because of the lyrics. I love the bridge, "I am not brave..." and the honesty in the first verse. It shows Mary's vulnerability and how scared and almost ashamed she must have felt. Yet she is on her knees saying "Holy is He. Blessed am I." How many of us in a time of struggle say that? That we are truly blessed to be dealing with those hardships?

And the bridge - "I'm just a girl, nothing more. But I am willing, I am Yours." Total humility. No sense of pride at all. But a sense of willingness and happy surrender

I love the idea of belonging to God. I am His... and He is mine. As human beings, we long to belong. We want to fit in. We want to be wanted. But how often do we give ourselves to less deserving objects, goals, possessions,  or people?

God is the creator of the universe! He sent Jesus to be our Savior. We were drowning in our sin and He saved us. Grace. Unfathomable grace.

I want to belong to God. I want this to be my song:

"I'm just a girl, nothing more. I am willing. I am Yours."

No comments: