Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Relationships and living intentionally.


Some people say doing a DTS (Discipleship Training School) is like trying to take a drink of water from a fire hose. I have come to find this statement so true. So bear with me if my thoughts are a bit jumbled. I'll try to give you the highlights...

This last week Eric Swanson-Dexel spoke to us about relationships - our relationship with God, family, marriage, friendships, and living in community. Relationships are something I value so much (But believe me, I'm not perfect at them). God created us to be in relationships, yet they are not always the highest priority in our culture. We are so consumed with checking our phones, trying to get to the next conversation or task that we often lose the value in seeing people. There is so much to learn about the character of God in hearing people's stories and the ways he has won them over. 

God has been showing me what it means to live an intentional life. Each day he wakes me up and I have the choice to live. I choose how I love people. I choose who my life is pointing to. How you live your days is how you live your life. And as I walk closely with Jesus, I will automatically love people from an overflow of him. It makes me so excited to go out and love people well. 

Lastly, God is showing me more of himself and more of his heart. I love this quote from Anne Lamott that says, "We begin to find and become ourselves when we notice how we are already found, already truly, entirely, wildly, messily, marvelously who we were born to be." We are not called to live a life of mediocrity, but an exceptional life because he made us wonderfully unique. I'm constantly learning what God's love looks like and how deep it goes. I don't understand it in the slightest and can't comprehend it's depth, but there is beauty in that fact. So I'm constantly learning to accept it and allow it to call me into worship.


On our way to volunteer at the 2014 Ironman Championships


This weekend some of us had the opportunity to volunteer at this year's Ironman Championships in Kona. We passed out cold drinks and cheered people on as they swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles, and ran a full marathon (26.2 miles). These people are insane and so inspiring! It was so fun to being able to cheer them on and encourage them as they were running. The guy who won finished in 8 hours and 12 minutes!! And amazing side note, some YWAMers spoke to him the day before the race, prayed for him and felt led to tell him "The Lord is with you. And to show you that he's with you, you are going to win the Iron Man Championship." And then HE WON. I can't wait to hear the testimony of this man in Heaven one day :)

   

 And then Sunday (of course) consisted of beach time, school reading, and Acai bowls :)


This is my beautiful friend, Juliane. She is from Norway and we love to laugh together.




Week 3, here we go!



No comments: