Saturday, September 6, 2014

Courage, dear heart.

"Aslan a man!" said Mr. Beaver sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-beyond-the-Sea. Don't you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion - the Lion, the great Lion."

"Ooh!" said Susan, "I'd thought he was a man. Is he - quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."

"That you will, dearie, and no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver; "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."

"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good."
-The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

As I get ready to board a plane to a new place, new people, new adventures, I'm reminded of the day the Lord called me to COURAGE. I was standing on the Avila Pier looking out at the view you see above, worshiping in awe of my beautiful Creator. As I prayed and watched, I could feel God building up courage in me. I didn't know what it was for - all I knew is that change was coming and he was preparing me for something he had down the road. I felt excitement and joy, strength and boldness like I could fly. I stood there for who knows how long soaking in his presence and trying to freeze that moment so that I'd always remember that feeling of triumph and strength in the arms of my first love.

A few weeks later I was offered a summer job at Hume Lake. There were so many obstacles in my line of vision at the time, and though I wanted to accept the job, I was fearful of all the unanswered questions. A sweet friend reminded me that we often have to take a leap of faith before the Lord clears the path. So sure enough I took that leap and God paved the way for me to go. And what a blessing this summer was! And he never ceased to remind me that he was the one who had brought me there.

And just as I was accepting the job at Hume Lake I was accepted into the YWAM Discipleship Training School in Kona for the fall. God is so good! And now summer has passed and the fall is becoming a reality. Many times throughout the summer and still now I'm reminded of that February day in Avila Beach, when God called me to be courageous. And he has provided more than enough since I gave that firm "yes." Because something God taught me this summer was that I can be totally out of my comfort zone, but completely where I need to be. Because courage is not the lack of fear, but the ability to do something that frightens you. No, this road we walk is not always safe and we're not always comfortable, but God has called me to a higher purpose.

To remember that I am not my own.

So take courage today, dear friends.

"For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I cam convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me. Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you." - 2 Timothy 1:6-14

1 comment:

Debra said...

Yes, have courage, because you serve the only true God. And He is able to accomplish all that He has promised. Love you, Tamara!